A large enterprise consultancy wanted to consider Open Source software based solutions as one of the options going forward. PERI conducted a detailed study of their current use of closed source software, software costs, user needs and long term growth.
Study Goal - Address Following Issues
- Reduction in cost of ownership and maintenance (software as well as system/user support costs)
- Streamline infrastructure support and maintenance, thereby tech support team can offer standard and consistent support
- Increase productivity and usability of standard applications instead of using expensive proprietary solutions
- Prevent Vendor Lock in
- Avoid closed software that has complex, expensive and unnecessary licensing
- Understand technical, operational and user acceptance issues using Open source solutions
- Open Source Solutions helping in the growth of the organization
- Open Source solutions is cost effective, simple and user transparent/independent
- Study of deploying Open Source Desktops with standard office, email and productivity solutions
- Use of Secure company wide Instant Messaging
- Use of Secure email solution and calendar system
- Company wide inexpensive, simple, secure, automated or manual backup and restoration systems
- Document retention systems for backups, restoration, public and private documents
- Identity Management and Security Solutions such as encrypted email, Roaming profiles, SSO etc
- Applications including web portals using Open Source Solutions
- If the migration issues need to be addressed?
- If user re-training issues going to be substantial?
- Will the tech-support team have significant call volume increase in supporting usability (not technical or functional) issues?
- Will there be significant cost savings if the organization has already purchased and is locked in licenses (sunk cost)?
- If Desktop conversions are not possible, can Open Source backend and back office applications benefit the organization?
- What is the level of training needed for technical and support teams to support Open Source software?